Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Story

The history of Cuba would make a fabulous Ken Burns documentary. There are so many stories within the history of the island. If you agree when you read these short stories written in this blog, make a comment. When I return from my 'bookend' trip in December, I'll make notes here about what I see. Why do I call it a 'bookend?' I was there for a short trip in 1958. I walked the Prado and the Malecon. I saw a rum factory, met people in Sloppy Joe's, advertised as a Hemingway hangout. The current travel books say the Floridita is now the Hemingway hangout. My view at 73 will be different than it was when I was 21 but I think the ambiance of the people will be the same. My question is why are we blocked, in general, from sharing it. I have approval to travel to Cuba since I am on a humanitarian trip but as a tourist, I could not go there. My job now is to collect school and medical supplies to take along. A challenge since I am limited to 44 pounds carry on and checked bags. Lucky fashion is not high on my list.

Let me know what you think. Thanks, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment