Thursday, October 21, 2010

Not much left to say

     Going to a place like Cuba is not like tourist travel anywhere else in the world. I have to take cash but not much but since credit cards are not accepted, whatever I spend will be cash. Sometimes Cuban cash and sometimes U.S. There is some sort of subtle sorting it out to be learned while there. To spend money in Cuba as an American is considered 'trading with the enemy.'  I've read everything from the hard facts to the beauty of the landscape to the music and personality of the people. Guantanamo got the most 'hits' on this blog. Lots of interest in that subject. Friends told me it's hard to post comments so I have no idea what people think of my notes.
     There is an underbelly to Cuba that Cubans  seem to deal with in one way or the other. They are survivors. I don't understand why they fought a revolution, several revolutions over the years  because of the condescending hold the U.S. had over their country and still does in the case of Guantanamo but now their own country treats them in a condescending way. An example of that is when I had a telephone conversation with a person who had traveled in Cuba. He  asked me whether I was fair complected or dark like a Latin. Puzzled I asked him why that would matter. He said if I looked Cuban, it would be difficult to go to some up scale restaurants or enter up scale hotels.  
      I leave in about a month and a half and I am saturated with information. Now it's time to buy the humanitarian supplies and figure out what to take to keep my carry on and checked bag under 44 pounds together. Time to take out the camera and spend a day or two out shooting photos of buildings in downtown San Diego to be sure of settings for those marvelous old colonial buildings in Havana, and the cars, the old cars, the cars of my youth, the big old gas guzzling machines. People will also be photo subjects, if they agree. In Peru the agreement to be photographed cost a 'propina,' ie tip, not much, pocket change and in a country where pocket change could mean a better meal for their family, I have no problem with a 'propina.' 


Well that's it for now. A bit disjointed notes and I apologize for that but it's just random thoughts as I prepare for an unusual trip.
 

2 comments:

  1. The time is moving so quickly. Will you have access to post blogs when you are over there or will you have to wait until you get back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure Jessalee what will be available. The hotel in Havana has internet access but who knows how good that is and of course I'll be spending as much time as possible out and about. I hope all is well with you and those adorable little boys. JudyK

    ReplyDelete